Monday, January 30, 2012

What Can I Do Now To Get My Yard and Garden Ready for the Spring?

I bought my first house last October. I found out the week we moved in that I was pregnant so the yard got put on the back burner while I was sick. I had to quit my overnight job for this year and my husband has started working one himself so the yard is now completely my problem. I know nothing about yard care. I'd like to know what I can do now while the weather is 65 degrees as opposed to late spring temps of 80+ here in Memphis and while I'm not too huge to get anything done.

So far this week I've raked the leaves up and started ripping out some bad planting choices left by the previous owners... I need to fill in holes left by winter erosion and plants ripped out. When is the best time to do that? Should I go ahead and clear out the flower bed? When do I prune? I read that you should kill the weeds in your yard this month, but is there a such thing as an organic kid friendly herbicide? Is there anything enviormentally friendly I can do with my giant pile of leaves and debris?

What Can I Do Now To Get My Yard and Garden Ready for the Spring?
Hey Heathen-Crusader,



You took a 'shotgun' approach to asking questions here. You Seem to want to know more. First let me recommend that you ask one specific question, then it is easier to research and give you a great answer.



1 - Getting your yard ready for the spring - raking, topdressing any lawn areas that are sunken, unlevel, or just need more nutrients from compost, mulch, plant potatoe, onion, and cabages; Turn over the garden sites.



2. - Yes, clear out the flower bed - if there are perenials, be sure to just remove the dead leaves and stalks, if there are any green poking through, leave it alone. I put cabbage in my flower bed between the early perenials, that way when they are done, the cabbage is getting big - and makes a show in the fall.



3. - Pruning should be done mostly by now. Don't wait any longer... do it now or do not do it until after the fall.



4. - Your question about herbicides is difficult, and requires a lot of information. Organic is one thing, Kid friendly is another, and a Pre-emergent would have been the best thing. Don't waste your money on 'weed and feed'. As you see the weeds, dig them out - that is the best method. Don't let the kids blow the dandelions...



5. Enfironmentally friendly - leaves. Compost - perfect for amending your soil throughout your yard. If you find an area that you can use for this purpose, dig it to a loose soil, and set some of the soil in a pile to one side, leaving an indentation in the ground. Put a layer of sticks twigs branches, then some leaves. Put a layer of dirt on top of that about 2 inches thick. Now, more leaves and perhaps some fresh picked weeds and your garbage (not meat or cheese), then a layer of dirt. The dirt will stop it from smelling and start the decay. Use all of your leaves on this pile, one layer at a time - not too thick. Dirt last each time. When all your leaves are in the pile, and dirt covers the pile, water it. Keep the pile moist. You can stick a compost thermometer into it and when it goes up to 160 degrees F, and then drops off - turn it all over with a pitch fork. Then cover again with dirt, check the temp again - if it starts to look like 'good dirt', it is. You use this anywhere you want plants to grow great - including your lawn.



Last, you mentioned fescue - I don't think it will do good in Memphis. stick to the Bermuda.



Again, if you have questions, ask one at a time ... I could answer each individual question better (and you would get more people responding).



Here are a couple web sites that may help you.
Reply:Best to do all of that NOW!!! The sooner you start with replacing your plants and soils, the better off you are. It gives the ground longer to adjust before it goes dormant again. Pruning, I would ask someone at a nursery, because different plants may react differently. I’m not a good pruner. As far as health of your lawn, it wouldn’t hurt to get some good old fertilizer… we live next to a dairy farm and we just go out in the feed lot and take dirt from there! Works WONDERS!!! J As far as your giant pile of leaves and debris, you could make a compost pile for yourself or you could see if your community has a compost pile or look at recycling centers. They could have a compost pile too. Compost is great stuff too! Good luck!

leather casual sandals

No comments:

Post a Comment